Re: [SI-LIST] : Frequency or time domain for component characterization

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 15:19:10 PST

Hi Kai,
  In my opinion and experience, the quality of the model correlates more with the knowledge and skill of the modeler than with the domain in which the extraction is performed. Whether someone prefers a time-domain or frequency-domain approach for modeling at frequencies of less than say 15GHz seems to depend in large part on what they are most accustomed to working with, both in terms of measurment instrumentation and available software tools.

You haven't mentioned why you consider the models you received to be "dubious", but if you have good reason to doubt them, I would suggest connecting a sample to a TDR (since you seem to prefer a time-domain approach) and verifying them yourself. A bit painful, but if you're the paranoid type like I am, it helps you to sleep at night...

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."
http://www.tdasystems.com