[SI-LIST] : Frequency or time domain for component characterization

From: Kai Keskinen ([email protected])
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 12:09:12 PST

Hi Folks:

I'm in the interconnect group where connectors are our thing. I'm the high
speed modeling guy. I take those connector spice models and make sure the
connector will work with our drivers/signal paths/receivers. I have a lot of
experience with connector models made using TDR measurements. I have
recently been sent some models that appear somewhat dubious. The vendor
group that made the measurements says they only use a network analyzer and
then do the inverse fft and some other tricks to get the time domain. They
have some way to fit parameters to a model to get a match to their
measurements. My question is, is the frequency domain method as good as
using the TDR at various edge rates?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kai Keskinen
Equipment and Network Interconnect
Nortel Subsystems and Performance Networks (NSPaN)
(613)-765-3506 (ESN 395)
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>