[SI-LIST] : Zener used to clamp Vcc?

From: Chris Bobek ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 14:20:16 PST

Hi,

I was instructed to use a 5.6V Zener diode on the 5V Vcc plane of our
board to clamp the voltage in the case of voltage spikes on the power
supply. The Zener diode they chose is a 400mW diode. In your
experience, is this the best way to handle power supply spikes? Is
400mW enough to accomplish anything? Our power supply is a 500W supply,
I believe. The board typically draws 2A.

I'm not sure what power supply spikes they are referring to. When I
look at Vcc on a scope, the rising edge is a nice, quick, R-C charging
curve. There's a lot of capacitance on our board and supply that
dampens this response.

Thanks for your help,

Chris