Re: [SI-LIST] : Bulk Capacitance

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 11:08:01 PST

When we do our bulk decoupling calculations we use the
maximum transient current number.

For example if you have a DC draw of 16 Amps of core current
but you know it varies between a minimum of say 5 amps in
a sleep condition and 16 amp full current consumption then I'd
use 16-5 = 11 amps transient current in my calculation.

If you can tolerate say +/- 5% on your 1.7 volt supply then
+/- 85 mV is the ripple tolerance you need to design for.

At least that is what we do on Sparcs, never messed about
with a Xeon but the procedure should be the same.

-Ray

> Hi,
>
> I'm a rookie and don't know how to read the specs. I'm trying to calculate
> the bulk capacitance for using a
> Xeon processor. Which current should I use to calculate the bulk
> capacitance? The ICCcore of 16 amps
> for FMB? or should I use something else. What should be my voltage
> tolerance, the static of 85 millivolts
> or the transient of 130 millivolts.
>
> Thanks,
> Jose

[email protected]. In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list or
UNSUBSCRIBE si-list-digest, for more help, put HELP.