[SI-LIST] : Hopefully not a controversial question ...

From: Doug McKean ([email protected])
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 11:05:18 PST

Moating: What have people discovered (in general)
about this technique over the years?

At another company, I was in a position where
a S/N ratio was critical with CATV circuitry
as was defined by the FCC. Moating did quite
a nice job meeting that criteria versus not
moating. The specific requirement by the FCC
I can't recall, but the moat achieved something
on the order of -10dB to -15dB more than not
moating. Two spins of boards were done for
comparison.

Buuut, a very specific case under very specific
conditions. So I don't think it's a hard fast
rule that has to be followed all the time.

Anyone up for some general comments?

Regards, Doug McKean