Re: [SI-LIST] : montonic signals at SDRAM-, SSRAM- and FEPROM-adress inputs

From: Scott McMorrow ([email protected])
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 01:08:35 PST

Dirk and all,

Non-monotonic waveforms in the threshold region of any device
are problematic. These are not usually specificed and can cause
undesired behavior. As device inputs become faster they tend
to be even more sensitive to noise in the switching region.

For address inputs, specifically, if there is plenty of timing margin,
(and by plenty I mean 5 ns) then there is not an issue. Most memory
controllers use CS to hold back address inputs until two clock
cycles after issuing an address just for this reason.

One should be extremely careful about non-monotonic and slow
rising and falling edge rates at the address inputs of SDRAM devices
if you are within a few ns of the setup window. You might get a nasty
surprise in high memory error rates.

regards,

scott

--