RE: [SI-LIST] : Anyone on SI-list receiving UCE type spam?

From: Lund, Steve ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 05:53:00 PST

Stephen,

Posting anything to Usenet with a valid e-mail address either in the text or
headers is guaranteed to generate spam. This is why when I post to Usenet I
use a separate newsreader (Forte's Agent) with any e-mail address munged or
otherwise invalid. If you do want to reveal your true e-mail address I would
recommend something like

This way the spam bot programs that look for e-mail addresses will ignore
this as just text.

BTW, The SI-list uses a separate program known as a list-server which is run
from a private server and is not part of Usenet. Ray can answer whether the
Si-list is open to list-serv commands that will reveal the e-mail addresses
of the list's subscribers.

I belong to several list-serv lists and so far I have not had my e-mail
address compromised by any of them.

Steve Lund
Tuthill Corp.