Re: [SI-LIST] : DSO Selection

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 12:00:41 PST

If the data rate is 500 mbs, the maximum frequency is 250 mhz.

However, to get a good picture of the waveform, 3X or 5X or even 7X the
max frequency is required(odd harmonic content). 5X 250 would yield
1.25 Ghz and should give reasonable results.

Ron Miller

[email protected] wrote:

> From: Manickavelu@SHUTTLE TECHNOLOGY on 02/07/2000 01:20 PM
>
> To: [email protected]
> cc:
> Subject: DSO Selection
>
> Dear All,
>
> We are in the process of selecting a Digital Storage Oscilloscope. The
> signal rate we are interested in is from DC to 500MHz.
>
> The theory is to choose a DSO that has a bandwidth of 5 times the rate of
> signal and a sampling rate of 2.5 times the rate of signal.
>
> But in practical, we are able to measure a 100-MHz signal with a 200-MHz
> bandwaidth DSO.
>
> So, can we choose a twice BW, and Sampling rate DSO to measure a 500-MHz
> signal?
>
> Your suggestions and comments would be greatly helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Manix Velu.
>
> Encl: Nil.
>
> -oOo-

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]