Re: [SI-LIST] : ESR and bypass caps

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 11:43:31 PST

Hi Larry

I agree with you totally but would like to add that there is a parallel resonance near the series resonance for most chip capacitors not unlike a crystals
impedance. The lossiness of he PCB may smooth this out. ATC impedance curves bear this out.

Ron Miller

Larry Smith wrote:

> Doug - Please allow me to address your comments below.

> > Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 15:38:06 -0800
> >
> > 1. As ESR goes down, the troughs get deeper and the peaks get higher!
>
> Very true!
>
> > 2. The minimum impedance value is NOT NECESSARILY ESR (or ESR/n); it can
> > and is lower than that!
>
> I am not sure I understand this one. If we have a series RLC circuit,
> the minimum impedance will be when the positive and negative reactance
> (jwL and -1/jwC) cancel each other and you are left with R. I don't
> see how the minimum impedance can be any less than that. Are you
> considering a more complex circuit?
>
> > 3. The minimum impedance points are not necessarily at the capacitor
> > self-resonant points.
>
> With typical RLC values found in the industry today, we have always
> found the minimums to be at frequency 1/(2pi*sqrt(LC)), both in the
> lab and in simulation. Again, we have assumed a simple series RLC
> model for the capacitor. This model checks out very well with all of our
> lab measurements.
>
> > 4. For a given number of capacitors, better results can be obtained from
> > more capacitor values, with moderate ESRs, spread over a range than with a
> > smaller set of capacitor VALUES, with very low ESRs, even at well chosen
> > specific self resonant frequencies.
>
> I mostly agree with this. We (Ray and I) took a quick look at your
> article. We would like to see you narrow in on inductance and ESR
> values that are typical in the industry today for surface mount
> chip size capacitors mounted on pcb's with vias down to power planes.
>
> A few years ago, it was common to find capacitor mounting pads that had
> 5 nH of inductance. With careful design and manufacturing techniques,
> it is possible (and easy) to make mounting pads below 1 nH. Just this
> week in the lab, we measured the inductance of 0603 size capacitors
> mounted on pads appropriate for IR reflow soldering and connected to
> power planes that were on layers 2 and 3 below the surface. The total
> inductance for the capacitor, pads and power plane spreading inductance
> is between 0.8 and 0.9 nH. If the capacitor is mounted on the other
> side of the pcb so that the via current loop is larger, the inductance
> is 1.4 nH. This information is crucial if you want to target a
> particular frequency for a low ESR capacitor. One nH of inductance
> should be the industry bench mark for mounted decoupling capacitors.
>
> Let me make this statement in bold letters: YOU MUST HAVE LOW INDUCTANCE
> MOUNTING PADS BEFORE USING LOW ESR CAPACITORS (yes, I am shouting).
> Low ESR capacitors with high inductance pads are dangerous. They
> produce the strong anti-resonances (high impedance peaks) that you have
> shown in your article. Products will experience SI and/or EMI
> problems if you use low ESR capacitors on highly inductive pads.
>
> We have spent a great deal of time characterizing the ESR of Y5V, X7R,
> [...]

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]