RE: [SI-LIST] : Coplanar Transmission Line

From: [email protected]
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 18:24:34 PST

Hi Ron,

Let me see if I can help.

The electric field in a dielectric material doesn't change its polarity that
easily as it does in air. Dielectric materials require some additional
energy to change the field polarity that are associated with alternating
currents. Such energy is derived from the travelling wavefront and
dissipated as heat (resistive loss) inside the dielectric material. Thus, it
is obvious that such energy loss keeps increasing with increasing frequency
of the signal.

Dielectric resistive loss is usually specified by the "loss tangent" for
that material and is a function of the dielectric constant "sigma".

Hope the RF gurus agree with me.

Best Regards,
Sam KVK
AMD, Singapore