Re: [SI-LIST] : Questions abt Power Distribution System

From: Istvan NOVAK ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 04:06:29 PST

Mr. Chang,

I am sure Ray will answer all of your questions, but since it is probably a
couple of more hours until he sees your message, let me offer my thoughts on
questions 1 and 2.

You can calculate the impedance of a real-life capacitance with a series
RLC, for bypass applications we usually neglect the parallel resistance.
The impedance of the series RLC is Z(jw)=R+j(wL-1/(wC)). If you have two
capacitors, you can add the admittances and take the inverse of it
Z=1/(1/Z1+1/Z2), where Z1 and z2 are the two Z(jw) functions as above. These
are complex numbers, and you can calculate/plot the impedances/admittances
either with SPICE, or in this simple case of having just a few parallel
capacitors, you can use a spreadsheet or MATLAB or something similar to do
the calculation and plotting. You can download a small Microsoft Excel
spreadsheet for this purpose from http://home.att.net/~istvan.novak/
More detailed spreadsheets with up to 10 parallel capacitors and with
automatic statistical tolerance calculation is also available, let me know
if you want it.

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems