Re: [SI-LIST] : 10 layer board stackup

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 14:43:13 PST

> Why not just add additional ground layers, top and bottom for quick turn.

Be sure to make the impedance equal to the sourece and destination impedance by adjusting line width. Also stitch 1/4 inch spacing the entire perimeter
of the the board.

Make sure all traces are source and load terminated(if possible).

Your losses will not increase by making the traces internal, but source and load term will
cut the voltage in half at the receive end.

> I presently have an 8 layer board as follows:
>
> sig top
> grd
> pwr
> internal 1
> internal 2
> pwr
> grd
> sig bottom
>
> We failed radiated emissions. All clock/fast signals were routed on
> surface of board - since system is battery operated, ie keep the power
> consumption down. Routing these signals on inner layers will draw more
> power? Since we failed radiated emissions miserably, the plan is to now
> bury the clock signals on the inner layers. Emissions exceeded - out to
> 7th harmonic of clocks (19.66MHz - from which the following clocks are
> generated, 117.96MHz, 58.9824Mhz, and 29.4912MHz) Three other clocks
> are
> at 32.514MHz, 12.000MHz, and 24.576MHz. We are adding damping
> resistors.
> We are also adding 2 more signal layers to the board for the clock/fast
> signals - impossible to route clock signals on either internal 1 or 2,
> also under a time crunch. I am looking for advise on the board stackup
> for this now 10 layer board.
>
> Stackup as planned
>
> Sig top
> grd
> pwr 3.3V
> new layer for clocks/fast edge rates/repetitive
> internal 1
> internal 2
> new layer for clocks/fast edge rates/repetitive
> pwr 5V
> grd
> sig bottom
>
> Also checking into smaller decoupling capacitors - higher self-resonant
> frequency - presently my board has all decoupling capacitors with 0.1uF
> values.
>
> I have seen 10 layer stackups with pwr and grd layers separated by as
> many
> as 6 layers. I want to keep the pwr and grd layers close in my
> application
> for good board decoupling.
>
> Please email me at [email protected] as I will be offsite from my
> office for the next couple of weeks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary Steinkogler

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]