RE: [SI-LIST] : **error**: internal timestep too small

From: Mellitz, Richard ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:38:05 PST

We've done "the hook the nodes to ground (or power) trick" too with medium
value resistors. When this fails or it affects resonance more than we'd
like, we got a circuit that shorts the floating power/ground nodes to
power/ground for time and then lets it go.

Try this:

Vtest vtest 0 DC=1.5
Ltest1 Vtest rtest1 3n
Rtest1 rtest1 Vdeliver1 40m
Ctest1 Vdeliver1 0 350p
.tran 10p 12n

This produces a very nice 3 volt sine wave. Image you are modeling this as
your power delivery network. Ought-oh!!!

There some ways we've got to improve this situation. One has already been
mentioned by Arpad. That is use IC.

Vtest vtest 0 DC=1.5
Ltest2 Vtest rtest2 3n ic=0
Rtest2 rtest2 Vdeliver2 40m
Ctest2 Vdeliver2 0 350p ic=1.5
.tran 10p 12n

This still produces a 20 mv spike at time t=0+. This us usually not a
problem. Once in a while, when the circuit get complex, this spike can grow
large enough to give you ITTS.

This spike can be further reduced by.

Vtest vtest 0 DC=1.5
Ltest3 Vtest rtest3 3n ic=0
Rtest3 rtest3 Vdeliver3 40m
Ctest3 Vdeliver3 0 350p
* short the delivery node for some number of ps.
Xstab3 Vdeliver3 Vtest_INIT
.tran 10p 12n

Where Vtest_INIT is the secret sauce :-)

Rich Mellitz,
Intel