Re: [SI-LIST] : What's your favorite Screwy SI Concept?

From: John Howard ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:25:05 PST

Hi Doug,
     While I don't feel huge argument with any of the foregoing I do think
one important point is missing (at least I missed it). I believe it is much
more important to maintain a uniform conductor cross section than to
exert great effort in avoiding a right angle turn. As someone mentioned,
a right angle turn isn't noticably detrimental until the dimensions of the
turn are comparable to a wavelength (at the highest frequency of interest).
However a change in the cross section dimensions will affect the
incremental inductance and capacitance at the point where the cross
section changes. It is a minor challange to fabricate a right angle trace
turn without changing the trace width - but worth the effort if you intend
to propagate high frequency energy.
     I've just joined this group........greetings to all!
John