Re: [SI-LIST] : High Speed Backplane Connector Recommendations

From: Ron Miller ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 17:12:46 PST

Right Bruce

This is called co-planar waveguide. It can be broadside coupled or
narrowside coupled with no ground plane required.

ron miller

"Bruce W. Marler" wrote:

> Steve,
>
> What if you put no ground plane, just two traces on a PCB by themselves?
> Can we not look at these by themselves as a transmission line? If driven
> differentially and with a well balanced source impedance will not the
> current flowing down one trace then return down the other assuming they are
> terminated in their characteristic impedance?
>
> You may ask what advantage this would have. It might allow one to create
> higher impedance PCB transmission lines.
>
> It might have the disadvantage of worse EM radiation. But SI should be
> good, shouldn't it?
>
> Bruce

Ronald B. Miller  _\\|//_  Signal Integrity Engineer
(408)487-8017    (' 0-0 ') fax(408)487-8017
Brocade Communications Systems, 1901 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA  95131
[email protected],  [email protected]