RE: [SI-LIST] : What's your favorite Screwy SI Concept?

From: Dave Hoover ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 12:42:55 PST

Speaking from a fabrication stand point.....

The (art) process of taking TDR measurements has many
variables. Most...stand a lot to be desired. There is
a substantial difference in measurements between TDR
equipment. (Tek, HP, and Polar) An even larger delta
is found when measurements are taken and compared to
a network analyzer result.
When current standard industry cabling and probing
techniques are used, there is about a .7 Ohm std dev
found when G. R. and R. and reproducibility tests are
done. So one could anticipate ~2.1 Ohms at 3 sigma. :/
But there is some light at the end of the probing tunnel.
NIST has some probes being evaluated that are yielding
much less. Measurement error is down as low as .07-ohms!!!!
That's just in equipment......
Now fab variation is another story.
I agree with Bob's comments about testing a VW to Ferrari
specs (No pun intended Gary). I also agree to Arpad's comment.
The IPC has us fabricators taking a sample measurement and
averaging the Zo based on the undisturbed interval of the
waveform.

Dave Hoover