[SI-LIST] : questions about Spicelink/Ansoft tools

From: Teddy Chou ([email protected])
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 19:25:47 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Teddy Chou
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2000 11:00 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: HFSS: questions about Spicelink/Ansoft tools

Hi,
    Recently, I have started to use the Spicelink / Ansoft
simulation tools( it resembles the HFSS/Ansoft, but only the
quasi-TEM waves guided by transmission lines are
considered ). I found some problems when using the
"REDUCE MATRIX" item in Maxwell 3D Extractor. I needed to
get some characteristics of microstrip lines. However, when I
assigned the ground plane to the "return path" or "ground"
( part of the return path ), the inductance would increase as
the size of ground plane increases. Even when the ratio of
the width of ground plane and the width of a trace is over 100,
it never got a stable value. For avoiding this phenomenon, I
tried to decrease the area of the I_sink and I_source surface
in the ground plane, it still got the resembling results. Who can
tell me how to assign the reasonable size of the ground plane
for microstrip lines.

  Best Wishes,

     Teddy Chou
 Signal Integrity Engineer,
 VIA Technologies, Inc. Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
 TEL : 886-2-22185452 ext : 6046
 mailto:[email protected]
 Very Innovative Architecture