[SI-LIST] : What's your favourite Screwy SI Concept?

From: Andrew Phillips ([email protected])
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 05:17:07 PST

Having been following this list for several years now, and coming up
against plenty of signal integrity issues with my work along the way - I
always find it interesting to see how many confused or even totally
bogus, yet often quoted, design 'philosophies' there are floating about
in this field -

e.g. connect a decoupling cap directly to the power/gnd pins of a device
to prevent noise currents from spreading onto the power planes rather
than dropping vias directly to the plane.

I would be interested to hear other people's favourite 'Screwy SI
Concept' - why its screwy and why you think it has hung around in the
literature confusing everybody.

I'll put together a summary if enough people send me stuff.

Cheers,

Andrew Phillips
Supercomputing Systems AG
Zurich, Switzerland