Re: [SI-LIST] : IBIS datasheets for PCI and DDR

From: Fred Balistreri ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 14:40:36 PST

[email protected] wrote:

> I don't know about you guys but i get a lot of SPICE models that don't
> converge.
> I get others that converge using last years SPICE but not this years
> (and vice versa).
> Of course, given that they do converge and they are the source data for
> the IBIS models, I agree that they can be expected to be more accurate.
> Course, if you have to wait until the heat death of the universe to
> simulate your circuit this accuracy could be of limited value.....
>
> jon

Now you're getting into the issue of the simulator and not the model.
Just like some SI tools some are better than others, some SPICE are
better than others. Anyway we should not be comparing apples to
bananas. SPICE is a lot more than IBIS. IBIS is well suited for the
task at hand which is SI simulation. SPICE is a general circuit
simulator. IBIS is a standard syntax for SI. Its NOT a simulator and NOT
a model. Its simply information from which a model can be made. Other
than that there are some rather nice information in the files that can
be put to good use.

There are SPICE programs that read in and use IBIS information. Such
a simulator is a good choice even for SI, if it has good transmission
line simulation capability.

Best Regards,

--
Fred Balistreri