Re: [SI-LIST] : Transient impedance

From: Chuck Hill ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 14:02:31 PST

DC,

That was the conclusion I reached as well. This was in conflict with the
modeling approach used in IBIS. So I measured real devices to decide which
view was correct. My conclusion is the assumption of low impedance during
switching used by IBIS is a drawback, and not always true, in fact, mostly
not true.

Now, what are the implications? If the impedance is high during the
switching interval, then the reflections off the source will have low
attenuation (low return loss). Any waves incident to this driving source
will be reflected. These could be reflected waves from loads on the bus,
or near end crosstalk. The waves reflected off the source will appear at
the loads as unwanted signals, (noise?) or intersymbol interference which
causes timing jitter.

Further, since IBIS assumes a low source impedance therefore a high return
loss, its simulation results are better than reality in terms of this
additional timing jitter mechanism.

What do you think?

Charles Hill, consultant

P.S. IBIS is a very useful simulation environment for SI.