[SI-LIST] : Impressions of new HP Impedance Analyzer ???

From: Ray Anderson ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 10:28:54 PST

I've got an old HP4194A impedance analyzer in the lab that we use on
occasion for characterizing the ESR characteristics of decoupling capacitors
at relatively low frequencies (<100MHz) .

It appears that Agilent (nee' HP) has a new machine called the HP4294A
out that is supposed to be a much improved version of the original 4194A.

Besides being networkable, having purportedly better modeling capabilities,
and other bits of chrome and glitz, the specs look marginally better than
its predecessor. I wonder if anyone has had the opportunity to use or test
drive this machine, and what their impressions and/or comments regarding it
are. In particular I'm wondering about it's ability to make accurate
measurements of the resistive component of an impedance at sub-ohm levels.

I've read the marketing write-ups, but am looking for user opinion.

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.