Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential Pair Theory

From: Christian S. Rode ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 06:06:09 PST

I think the Lucent URL is:
http://www.lucent.com/micro/hsi/docs/AP99005.pdf

They also highlight the reduced common-mode requirements of their
pseudo-ECL differential outputs compared to totem-pole devices -
this addresses an earlier question about LVDS-SSO in an earlier
thread. (Attached below -------)

sweir wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I reasonable tutorial is included in Lucent's quad driver / receiver
> literature. That also has the advantage of explaining some of the common
> mode range issues, as the Lucent parts are PECL.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve.
> At 01:27 PM 11/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to understand how differential pairs behave and how you
> >terminate them. I've read app notes and books that tell you how to
> >terminate them, but I don't know how they derived the values and
> >methodology. I would just like a general understanding of what's going
> >on. I understand how and why termination works on normal, single-ended
> >lines.
> >
> >As an example, suppose you had a 100ohm, unshielded, twisted pair cable
> >that ran for 5000 feet between two boards. Once the pair entered the
> >board, it was routed over several inches to a differential receiver.
> >The two boards do not share a ground (suppose they are battery powered).
> >
> >1) How did I know to route the traces on the board as two 50 ohm
> >traces?
> >2) How did I know to terminate the pair by placing a 100ohm resistor
> >between the two traces at the receiver?
> >3) Could I terminate each line separately as if they were two,
> >single-ended lines (say, using a 50ohm resistor to ground on each line
> >at the receiver?)
> >4) Where does the return current flow as the signal is launched down
> >the line from the driver, across the twisted pair, across the diff pair
> >on the board, and to the receiver?
> >
> >Thank you very much,
> >
> >Chris

> >[email protected]. In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE
> >si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
> >http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****

-------------------------

D. C.:

A question: Is it really practical to assume the benefits of reduced
package crosstalk with push-pull drivers? I can see that you could
tune the delays in open-collector-like technologies to maintain
a nearly continuous current flow (at least in the nominal case) but
with CMOS drivers and cross-coupled break-before-make pre-drivers
won't you always get a period where both drivers are off?

The spike in that case would be due to currents dropping, rather
than increasing and creating an initial on-chip voltage rise, rather
than a fall. David didn't characterize the nature of his spikes.
David?

Chris Rode