Re: [SI-LIST] : What speed scope should I consider? / "transient impedance"

From: Mike Degerstrom ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 06:33:55 PST

Jeremy,

You mention 'intantaneous Z=V/I'. Is this or should this really be
Z(I)=dV/dI?

Mike

On Nov 12, 7:36pm, Jeremy Plunkett wrote:
> Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : What speed scope should I consider? / "transient
>
> Arpad,
> A technique I've used is to measure the current using a differential probe
> across a resistor in series with the DUT, and using another probe measure
> the voltage on the pin relative to ground or vdd. You can then calculate
> instantaneous Z = V/I using algebraic functions in the scope. The Tektronix
> probes I used had a specified bandwidth of 1.5GHz; if you needed to you
> might be able to set up a 3 or 4-channel TDR(i.e. 20GHz class scope w/
> passive probes) in one chassis to get a measurement out to much higher
> frequencies (2 channels are required to get the diff. meas).
>
> Some difficulties of this method are:
> 1) Any measurement of transient/instantaneous impedance will be affected by
> parasitic capacitance and inductance in your measurement setup (including
> probe input capacitance).
> 2) Buffer behavior may be dependent on the load seen at the pin; if it's
> practical you may want to take measurements with several different load
> values, both resistive and capacitive.
> 3) The measurement described above includes the impedance of the IC package
> power and ground connections in the results, therefore it will also be
> affected by the number of buffers switching, supply bypassing on the board,
> etc.
>
> Hope you find this useful!
>
> Jeremy Plunkett
> Signal Integrity Engineer
> Reliance Computer Corp.
> [email protected]

In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list, for more help, put HELP.

>-- End of excerpt from Jeremy Plunkett

Mike Degerstrom         Email:    [email protected]
Mayo Clinic
200 1st Street SW
Gugg. Bldg. RM 1042A                 Phone:    (507) 284-3292
Rochester, MN 55905                    FAX:    (507) 284-9171
WWW:  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html