Re: [SI-LIST] : Traces isolation vs FCC68

From: Georg Ramsch ([email protected])
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 02:49:27 PST

Hello, Michael !

Do the tables specify, wether the given values are related to a
microstrip (mixed dielectric FR4/air/solder mask) or stripline (only FR4 as
dielectric)construction ?

Years ago we tested a telecom backplane with 2kV (2 layer microstrip)/ less than
40mils (~1mm) clearance
and it passed the test. The connectors had been pressed in, so no solder remains
could degrade
the breakdown voltage.
What also may have an influence is the water content of FR4; shall be around 1%
or better less.
For maintaining solderability, the stock for the pcbs should be air conditioned
with low humidity.

Regarding thickness: this 8-layer board has no impedance controlled traces?
(because otherwise the 115mils would be reasonable)

Regards

Georg