Re: [SI-LIST] : Micro Noise Part 2

From: sweir ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 10:31:38 PST

Derek,

I don't think this is a very good idea:

1. The board is unbalanced and will likely warp.
2. The impedance on the two routing layers will be unequal.

Stick with the original stack-up:

1. The stack-up is balanced.
2. The impedance on both routing layers is matched.
3. The solder layer with most of the routing is adjacent to the ground
reflection plane. This yields the best high frequency performance.
4. The power plane is adjacent to the ground plane which gives you free
buried capacitance, ( although not a lot in a .062 board ),
         which will help with your EMC.

With a four layer board, it is important that you engineer the
placement. Don't toss the netlist over the wall to the layout
folks. Identify your critical nets and account for them in your
placement. Then route the critical nets first.

Regards,

Steve.