[SI-LIST] : LVDS SSO Analysis Question

From: [email protected]
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 06:54:02 PST

David,

Most of the SSO analysis I have done has been on single-ended CMOS drivers
rather than differential, so take this with a grain of salt. My
understanding of how a "true" differential driver is supposed to work is
that the true and complement outputs are supposed to balance each other out
such that the net di/dt they draw from the rail is low, i.e. the true
output draws a positive di/dt while the complement output draws a negative
di/dt. This implies that somebody spent a lot of time optimizing the
output and predrive stages to insure a truly differential output (which, I
think, may be a hard thing to do in a CMOS process). Do you know if this
is the case? I know I've seen one case where a GTL driver was incorrectly
designed and produced high ringing during the turn-off transient. The
classic GTL driver has a bleeder circuit which is supposed to prevent this
from happening...

I would echo what D.C. said about the package model: to do an accurate SSO
analysis, you need a REALLY GOOD fully-coupled package model. It's not
necessary to have a huge one with 50 leads or anything. Start by breaking
the package down into the smallest repeating unit, as dictated by your
signal-to-return ratio. Incidentally, I would also use the most accurate
driver model you have, i.e. a structural (SPICE) model that is extracted
from the cell layout.

Happy hunting!

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
[email protected]

---------------------- Forwarded by Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM on

David Haedge <[email protected]> on 11/03/99 12:46:07 PM

Please respond to [email protected]