Re: [SI-LIST] : Micro Noise

From: Douglas McKean ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 14:59:29 PST

At 02:22 PM 11/3/99 -0800, Roland F. Portman wrote:
> I am assuming this processor has an internal multiplying
> PLL since your emissions are in the 300MHz range. If you
> have an external PLL loop filter, be sure it is
> properly designed and VERY close to the PLL pins.
>
> It is a thought.

A quick check of the waveform of the noise by
expanding the bandwidth of a spectrum analyzer
would tell very quickly if it's an errant PLL.

Reference to another post, I have on an interface
board in one of my PCs at home a small square of
metal clipped onto the top of a chip. Can't imagine
the grounding is any good, but could be for emi.

Had a heck of a time with an EPROM being extremely
noisy years ago, 27128 I believe. Ended up putting
that in a can. Doug