Re: [SI-LIST] : LVDS SSO Analysis Question

From: D. C. Sessions (
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:43:51 PST

David Haedge wrote:
> Fellow SIers,
> I am working on an SSO analysis that involves large numbers of LVDS outputs
> switching on a die. One of the reasons to use LVDS is because the driver is
> basically just redirecting a 4mA current in the output loop, hopefully
> eliminating large di/dt's on power and ground. However, my SPICE analysis
> shows a 20-25mA current spike on VDD and VSS with a rise/fall time of about
> 230ps each time the device switches (375MHz rate). It was assumed that we
> could get by with a lot less VDD and VSS pads due to the expected low di/dt's.
> It appears now that with this large unexpected current spike, we need to triple
> the number of powers and grounds to achieve an acceptable voltage drop/ground
> bounce. Has anybody out there seen this sort of behavior in LVDS circuitry?
> Or is this just perhaps a quirk in SPICE (or my chosen vendor)?

Assuming that you're not running the predriver on the output rails (BAAAAAD idea)
then it sounds like you have some rise/fall assymetry. Step one is to fix it,
since power noise is the least of the troubles it causes.

Beyond that, you may not have a big problem Oddly enough, in a differential
current environment supply inductance can actually be a Good Thing since it
effectively forces rise/fall symmetry. Put some package inductance into that
simulation (with or without mutual inductance, although ignoring mutual
inductance is kinda silly) and see what happens. Betcha you like the results.

D. C. Sessions