Re: [SI-LIST] : Recommendations for High Density PCB to PCB Connection

From: Laurence Michaels ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 06:47:10 PST

Doug Piper wrote:

> I'm working on a new project that requires me to make 40 connections from
> one PCB to another in a space that's only about 0.2" x 0.5". Does anyone
> have any experience or recommendations for making a connection of this
> density?
>
> Doug Piper, Woven Electronics, P.O. Box 189, Mauldin, SC 29662
> PH 864-967-1751, FAX 864-963-1761, e-mail: [email protected]
> www.wovenelectronics.com

Only recommendation I can make, is possibly some of the press-fit
unidirectionally conductive foam material, such as is used on some of
the more recent Intel Flash chips.

Having done a few calculations, this works out to 400 connections per
square inch. If you manage to put more connections in an inch, than
most cotton sheets, I want to know how you did it! Connections on the
trace level are going to be tight as well. This is going to be 1
connection per 2.5 square mils. Assuming equal trace and space
requirements, this works out to 0.625 mil trace and space. That's not a
standard PCB you're talking about. Are you sure about the space
requirements?

Best of luck,

--
Laurence Michaels