RE: [SI-LIST] : Definition of Hi-Speed (UC)

From: [email protected]
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 08:22:41 PST

How about this:

Hi-Speed is just as easy as driving a car! Un-matched impedances are the
holes in the signal integrity hi-way. You must go slower for bigger holes.

Instead of trying to explain in terms of bandwidth, try Flight Time and edge
rate. IE, if your signal changes state quicker and it takes the signal to
get from driver to receiver and back, the signal is Hi-Speed.

In car terms; the longer it takes us to get to work, the more we will be
interested in a good Hi-Speed Hiway.

Note; this rule doesn't care whether you have 100KHz or 100MHz signaling.

Hope this helps.

Aubrey Sparkman
Signal Integrity
[email protected]