Re: [SI-LIST] : Stopping Out of Office Auto Replies?

From: Mike LaBonte ([email protected])
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 07:08:45 PDT

Some of the replies to this post suggest filtering "out of office" replies
at the receiving end. But these replies are supposed to inform the sender of
the mail that a response may not be immediate. If I send an urgent mail, I
WANT to know if it will not be read soon. So universally filtering out all
of these replies could be a problem, unless one never sends urgent mail.

Plus, client-side filters such as those in Eudora, Outlook, and Netscape have
an annoying behavior: the tool raises a flag to tell me I have mail. I click
to retrieve the mail, and no new mail appears because the new items were all
filtered out. I gave up on using filters in any PC-based mail client for this
and other reasons.

I implement a server side filter on the Unix system that is my mail server, using
procmail. The filtered mail goes into a folder called "junk", which I check and
empty only when I feel like it. But I use it to filter only the "out of office" mail
that has "SI-LIST" in the subject.

Heiko suggested using procmail to SEND the "out of office" response, because it
can do so selectively. For those who have this option it is a nice thing to do.
This is because it suppresses the vacation reply at the sending end, sparing a
good number of recipients who have no good option for filtering.

There is nothing the reflector can do to help, because the "out of office' replies
go straight from the mail agent of the person who is out to the mail agent of the
person that posted, without using the reflector as a middle man.

Mike