RE: [SI-LIST] : Comments from your SI seminar (SendII)`

From: Denomme, Paul S. ([email protected])
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 12:30:51 PDT

        I have read an article recently that states that the use of
specifying the differential impedance of two traces on a circuit board is
unnecessary. The only thing you need to worry about is the individual trace
impedance. If you need a differential impedance for two lines to be 100
ohms, just use two 50 ohm lines rather than using two signals whose
differential impedance is 100 ohms. Also when connecting a 110 ohm twisted
pair to PCB you should just connect it to two 55 ohm traces to achieve the
110 ohm differential impedance. I have done enough research to draw my own
conclusions, but I would like to get the reaction from people in this forum
regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Paul Denomme
Viasystems Inc.