[SI-LIST] : Single versus multiple point grounding ...

From: Douglas McKean ([email protected])
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 16:46:29 PDT

From: Denomme, Paul S. [mailto:[email protected]]

> Regarding comment 2, he was stating that grounding in
> multiple locations is a bad idea. This can create some
> ground loops within the chassis. There will be some type
> of potential difference from one chassis connection
> point to another and this will create some current
> in the chassis. This is very bad from an EMI perspective.
> He believes one Solid connection to the ground plane is sufficient.
>
> I would like to hear a take from an EMI person.

Well, personally I'd like to see some measured
results from testing that prove this opinion.
I've used multiple point grounding in real system
design with great success for not only EMI but
for ESD robustness. The fact that I instituted
multiple point grounding from a former design
single point grounding that had sufficient problems
to warrant a redesign and that such redesign worked
was proof enough for me.

In some instances, single point grounding is impossible.
In other instances, single point might be preferable.
Single and multiple point grounding have their place
under certain circumstances, but not as an all out
general rule. - Doug