RE: [SI-LIST] : Heating resistor: RMS or average current (was Re: Effect of low Zo for unterminated lines)

From: Ingraham, Andrew ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 11:40:59 PDT

>RMS IS the heating effect in terms of watts; good RMS meters use bolometers
>to measure it with. "Average" is the wrong answer.

Be careful here. The correct thing is RMS current, and Average power.

I'm just trying to steer everyone away from thinking along the lines of "RMS
power" (taking the square root of the mean average of the square of the
instantaneous power) or RMS watts, which would be the wrong thing.

Heating watts is a simple time-average of the instantaneous watts, or can be
found using an RMS averaging of current and/or voltage.

Andy