Re: [SI-LIST] : Heating resistor: RMS or average current (was Re: Effect of low Zo for unterminated lines)

From: Larry Miller ([email protected])
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 06:17:26 PDT

RMS IS the heating effect in terms of watts; good RMS meters use bolometers
to measure it with. "Average" is the wrong answer.

If you want to know how hot a resistor will get you need a model of its
heat flow, conduction, and radiation. You have to come up with an
equivalent Theta(case-to-ambient). I think this kind of info is fairly
readily available for common resistor types and is easily measured with DC
in any case. Then the temperature rise is simply P(rms) *
Theta(case-to-ambient). Dimensional check: Watts * Deg/Watt = Deg.

Larry Miller

http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****