Re: [SI-LIST] : Effect of low Zo for unterminated lines

From: [email protected]
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 16:36:56 PDT

Vinu,

Electromigration is sensitive to average output current. Therefore if you drive
a line of 60 ohm in 133MHz, say, the average stressing current would be
43/2=21.5mA on the pull-up device (base on your calculation, abeit the actual
output
resistance of the driver would be smaller); and of course the same
stress for the pull-down device. Some metal wires in the chip running with
alternate current is not an issue.

What I have suggested is to use a 50PF lumpped load as a reference to calculate
the average current limit, and that's the usual way a chip designer handle the
electromigration issue when the chip datasheet specifies a 50PF loading. (The
original posting is taking LVC245 as an example)

Raymond
---------------------- Forwarded by Raymond Leung/QSA/AU on 22/10/99 09:25

Vinu Arumugham <[email protected]> on 22/10/99 02:43:00