Re: [SI-LIST] : Frequency dependence and all that jazz

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 13:50:02 PST

Nilesh -- please see comments below.

"Shah, Nilesh N" wrote:

> Steve:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Actually, it's not so much the rlc's I'm worried about and building
> a frequency dependent model.
> My focus is more on the simulation itself.
> I gather from your answer that if I have a simple inverter driving
> into the rlc network , the output waveform of the inverter is just a
> bunch of voltage versus time points

You're right, and a basic time-domain simulator handles time-varying signals by keeping track of x(t) and its derivative(s). A frequency-domain simulator
handles time-varying signals by tracking of the attenuations (or gains) of each of their frequency components at every point in a circuit. This is why
advanced techniques (e.g., harmonic balance) are required to simulate a nonlinear system in the frequency domain, since conversion of energy from one
frequency to another can cause frequency components to appear at the output that were not present at the input.

Reading (or just as likely misreading) between the lines, I would say be very careful, whether using a time-domain or frequency-domain simulator, about
just converting the output of the inverter into a set of v vs. t or V vs. f points and performing a linear simulation, since the driver model that you have
takes the nonlinear properties of the driver into account when you do a nonlinear simulation. Such a linearized simulation may give reasonably accurate
results under light loading conditions, but in any other situation could do you more damage than good. In my opinion, nonlinear simulation is a must for
accurate prediction of digital system behavior, since it takes loading into account.

> . So if I had a frequency dependent
> rlc network and I fed my inverter output to it, it's as good as having
> a frequency independent model extracted at the fundamental frequency.

If I understand your question, it's actually better. An accurate frequency-dependent model represents device behavior across the range of frequencies for
which it is valid. A frequency-independent model, by definition, pretends that your device behaves the same at every frequency, from DC to daylight, as
they say. It is accurate at some frequencies, but not all.

Sometimes when people talk about a frequency-independent model, they are referring to an RLGC ladder (quasi-static) representation for a transmission line,
in which the R,L,G, and C matrices are not functions of frequency. If this is what you mean by frequency-independent, then please let me know and I can
address that question as well.

  -- Steve