Re: [SI-LIST] : Frequency dependence and all that jazz

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 16:03:58 PST

Nilesh -- SPICE-like simulators doing time-domain analyses solve their differential equations in the time domain, based on the charge/flux stored in
capacitors/inductors and the derivatives of the voltage/current variables at each node/branch. A time-domain simulator has no concept of frequency.

It is quite possible to get frequency dependence included in a model for a time-domain simulator, since L's and C's are frequency-dependent
impedances/admittances and can be shown, when used in conjunction with R's (and inductance coupling coeffficients) to accurately represent any well-behaved
function if used in the correct topology and with the correct values. However, for certain structures (e.g., long cables used at high frequencies) a large
number of lumped elements is required to represent the delay.

A full wave solver is one of many approaches to getting a frequency dependent model. Other approaches, such as 2-D solvers, may be quite sufficient
without going to such great lengths -- you have to evaluate what frequency-dependent effects you are trying to model. /* begin brazen advertising */ We
offer a tool which extracts models from measured data and handles some effects, such as non-uniform impedance and next-door coupling, quite well. /* end
brazen advertising */ General full-wave modeling from measurement is on the horizon, and is a current research topic in academia, but we do not offer it at
this time.

Hope this helps,

  -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.