Re: [SI-LIST] : IBIS models at Gbit speeds

From: Mike Mayer ([email protected])
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 15:08:21 PST

> Let me further propose we discuss the overall reliability of all
> of our tools and techniques for gigabit digital.

[...]

On my favorite topic, which is bad IBIS models, here is an (edited to
protect the innocent) email I received from someone at a large
corporation we buy complex VLSI chips from:

    Here's the [Part Number] model you requested. I had quite a few
    problems creating it since it was designed using a program other
    than SPICE. Here at [Large Corp], we do not have any software that
    allows us to simulate any IBIS models, so we cannot correlate with
    the original simulation models. The only thing we can do is make
    sure there are no typographical errors. This model was created
    using S2IBIS2 and an [Proprietary Language]. I pieced together from the
    original simulation model ([Proprietary Language]). let me know if you see
    any inconsistencies or if something fails to meet your
    expectations. I am really trying to push for some software that
    allows us to run IBIS and your input would be appreciated!

Needless to say, I was shocked to find out that I am getting an IBIS
model from someone who could not test it, even if they wanted to. Any
vendors out there care to donate software?

Mike Mayer                               Artesyn Communication Products, Inc
Senior Hardware Design Engineer          Madison, WI
[email protected]                http://www.artesyn.com/cp