Re: [SI-LIST] :Slower switching rate [was: si-list crash addendum]

From: Adrian Shiner ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 12:15:39 PST

Well, we have a worthwhile discussion going on this speed issue.

Obviously the chip makers want to keep the speed of all devices on the chip
much the same because it lowers costs.... Notice how motor cars tend to have
higher and higher top speeds? Speed limits are tending to move in the
opposite direction!

The "ideal" system design would approach my original physical segregation of
circuits by needed speed. This could mean Ferrite chip packages with opto
link multiplexed output from the high speed computing area inside the chip
fed to the slow world of (dare I mention it) analogue and other mundane
physical devices. The high speed chips can have integrated power
conditioning circuits. Power (think kw) switching semiconductors are moving
into this area to improve reliability and lower interfacing costs.

Is it high time to break the limited moulds imposed by a few chip and
software creators? Possible use of chaotic clocks, "n" level logic and
truly asyschronous circuits, coupled with parallel processing.. high speed
"instantantaneous" two way communication of information along a line has
been made with the active parts only at one end of the line way back in the
1960's.

Chaotic clocks are potentially better than any n bit mathematical encryption
algorithm for security....

Best wishes

Adrian