Re: [SI-LIST] : Probing PCI slew rate test

From: Istvan NOVAK ([email protected])
Date: Fri Nov 11 1994 - 05:41:23 PST

Andy,

if you are interested in the frequency response of your scope probe, and
have a vector network analyzer on hand, you can measure it easily. You also
need a scope with sufficient bandwidth which has output connection at one of
its analog front end amplifiers (some digital scopes still have it). First
you calibrate out the response of the scope by connecting VNA port1 to the
scope input directly and port2 to the scope analog output. Second, you
connect your probe in series to this link, by connecting the robe inputs
across a 50-ohm termination of the vna port1 output, and the probe output
connected to the scope. You may see that simple homemade 1kohm probes
easily can get a 3dB bandwidth up to 1-5GHz.

thanks

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems