RE: [SI-LIST] : FCAL DB9 cable shield

From: Knighten, Jim L ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 08:24:29 PST

Chris,

In my experience we have provided a direct short from the shield of the
connector to the chassis. This works very well and provides a good
continuous shield envelope around the differential pair and their associated
transceivers.

Transfer impedance is a measure of outer current to inner voltage, so the
lower the transfer impedance is, the better the shield is. So, I'd suspect
that the ferrite bead/ac short approach is not as good.

Jim
Dr. Jim Knighten e-mail: [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
Senior Consulting Engineer
NCR
17095 Via del Campo