[SI-LIST] : Re: 10 Gbit Ethernet PMD

From: Ronald Miller ([email protected])
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 08:01:32 PST

Pat et al

Back in 76 we tried to develop a bandwidth limiting data
communications scheme called Partial Response. We violated
the Nyquist criterion by setting our bandwidth at half the required
bandwidth for the data rate and ended up with 7 levels. The signal
could not make it from 0 to 7 in one symbol time so the other levels
were generated.

The end result was that we never finished because of the complexity
of the filtering and also because of the obvious decrease in noise margin
or in signal to noise ratio. Net result - no go.

It looks like this multi-level signaling may be up against the same signal
to noise ratio or noise margin problem. When one considers ripple
in the rails seen in an eye diagram and assumes that these same ripples
will occur at all the levels of a multi-level system the obvious eye-closure
will be a real problem.

However, if the ripple which is caused by reflection from impedance changes
in the transmission lines can be reduced substantially it may work. Can the
connectors, transmission lines and IC pins be made good enough to clean up
this ripple. That is the gating question for this type of system.

Getting back to your origional problem with the laser linearity, I do not believe

that multi-level optical was the intent. I believe that multi-level signaling is
being
considered for the electrical connection to the optical device which would then
convert it to 10 GB optical.

Ron Miller