[SI-LIST] : Question : differential LVPECL test headers

From: Bruce Rosenquist ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 19:17:22 PST

I have to provide test points for a 16-bit parallel datapath,
which are all single-ended LVPECL. The bus is synchronous,
and associated clocks and control are differential LVPECL, and
signals are 155 MHz, typical of SONET/SDH.

The test points would ideally be headers of some sort, but
signal integrity is a priority. It makes me nervous to route
the signals across the board to convenient test headers.
Is there a technique for doing this, or should I employ a
conservative approach?
I have been browsing Howard Johnson's book, High-Speed Digital Design,
and am aware of the section on "Embedded fixtures for Probing" p.103

Is this technique suitable for LVPECL, either single-ended
or differential? I have observed differential signals before,
but they were slow in comparison to these speeds. What special
considerations are there for observing high-speed differential
signals?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Rosenquist, Designer