Re: [SI-LIST] : FCAL DB9 cable shield

From: Christian S. Rode ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 16:56:44 PST

Certainly any difference in ground potential between locations could
cause
current to flow preferentially through the shield. I don't think being
on
different phases is as much the issue as unbalanced use. If one phase
of
your home triplex service is used more heavily or a large motor blows a
phase on three-phase industrial service I think the center-ground taps
will create a voltage differential.

Capacitively or inductively coupling shields and ground at one end
solves the ground current problem but you'll have to choose a
coding scheme without a DC component...

Isn't this why optocouplers were invented?
Aren't there safety issues, too? Seems I remember that it's not to
(current?) code to run Ethernet cabling between buildings. Not that
people don't do it anyway...