Re: [SI-LIST] : Differential impedance

Danwei Xue ([email protected])
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:23:41 -0800

My comments:

1) Suppose a transmission line pair consists of two coupled traces and a ground plane. The odd mode impedance
Zoo of the coupled traces is the impedance from the positive voltage trace to the negative trace with the exist of
the ground plane. Therefore, the odd mode impedance IS the differential impedance, i.e.

Zdiff == Zoo.

where I assume it is the definition.

2) The even mode impedance Zee is defined as the impedance from the traces to the ground when traces are both
with the same positive voltage.

3) When one of the trace is grounded, then the impedance of the other trace, say Z1, is
Z1 = square root of (Zoo * Zee).

4) If the traces are not coupled, i.e. they are farther apart or they are at the opposite side of the ground plane, then
Zoo = 2 * Z1.
Zee = 0.5 * Z1.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

Danwei