Re: [SI-LIST] : Schottky diode termination

Dennis Tomlinson ([email protected])
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:26:18 -0600

John Philips wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Does anybody have experience of in using schottky diode terminations in
> transmission line applications.
>
> john

> --------------
> WhiteCross Systems Limited Tel +44 1344 300770
> 3A Waterside Park Fax +44 1344 301424
> Cookham Road
> Bracknell
> Berks
> RG12 1RB
> --------------

Hi John,

I've made some use schottky terminations. I consider them
crude, but, in some cases, effective. The load reflection
coefficient will change from approximately +1 while the termination
diode is off, to approximately -1 when on. This can cause other
problems which have to be dealt with.

California Micro Devices is a manufacturer of schottky
terminators. They have an application note on this topic.
You can find links to their products, app. notes, and other
references by searching for: "Schottky diode termination"
on Excite, http://www.excite.com/

(See also "Termination Techniques for High Speed Buses" -
published in EDN magazine, February 16, 1998).

Cheers,

Dennis