Re: [SI-LIST] : IC input impedance

Dima Smolyansky ([email protected])
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:16:11 -0700

I think we got a bit distracted from the original topic, which was: how do we determine the reflection coefficient of the CMOS driver for a digital signal?

Now, we are addressing a topic: how high of a bandwidth does one need to propagate digital signals without distortion? I believe the asnwer is determined by the larger of the 5-6th harmonic of the clock or about three times the 3dB
bandwidth as determined by the rise time using F(bw)=0.35/tr. The reason it is necessary to use about 3X the 3dB rise time bandwidht is that otherwise you will still see some signal distortion, while 3X the rise time bandwidth will
give you completely distortionless signal propagation.

An excellent picture illustrating these concepts, which shows the spectrum of a digital signal in relation to its rise time and clock, is given on page 3 of Howard Johnson's book "High-speed Digital Design." Tektronix also
recommends to have measurement probes that are about 3X the 3dB rise time bandwidth.

Thanks,

-Dima

Dima Smolyansky
TDA Systems, Inc.