Re: [SI-LIST] : Jitter Measurement

Dima Smolyansky ([email protected])
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:44:40 -0700

This should work reasonably fine. Acquire the data this way, get a horizontal slice mask, and get the standard deviation measurement for the data in this mask. The mask vertical thickness must be reasonable small compared to the
signal rise time, otherwise you will get some distortion effects. And - use the built in jitter measurement features carefully, as they typically use deceivingly small masks.

There is better equipment for measuring jitter, but it costs more.

Thanks,

-Dima Smolyansky

[email protected] wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have to do jitter measurements on some motherboards and modules.
> What is the best way of accomplishing this? Some one has suggested I use
> the "Instavu" feature available on the tektronix scopes(like a TDS784A) set
> in infinite persistence. Would this give me accurate measurements? Any help
> in this would be much appreciated. TIA.

Thanks,

-Dima

========================= Dima Smolyansky TDA Systems, Inc. 7465 SW Elmwood St. Portland OR 97223 503-245-5684 [email protected]