Re: [SI-LIST] : Power-plane resonance article

Pat Zabinski ([email protected])
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:00:58 -0500

Mike,

Ground/power plane (GPP) resonance is more of an issue that most folks
tend to believe, particularly in mixed-signal systems where
digital components can generate enough noise on the GPP structure
to saturate and/or induce significant noise into the analog systems.
It can also be a significant SSN/SI issue when the frequency
content of the major switching signals are at a natural resonant
frequency of the board. As an example, we've modeled and measured
resonances with 40+ dB (10,000X power) noise variations across a
board.

Internally, we have been developing tools to model GPP resonance
and inter-chip noise, but they are far from release. We have also
built up several test structures to emperically characterize
the effects. However, the most practical tool we've found so
far in analyzing the resonances is a home-build field strength
prober that 'sniffs' the signal strength above an active board.

Using software to control servo motors (to physically sweep the
probe over the board) and a spectrum analyzer to measure the
field strength near the board (we have several probes, so
we can measure normal/tangential E and H fields), we generate
relative field strength across the board. This allows us
to 'visuallize' the resonances and the effects of decoupling.
The equipment is very similar to the equipment used in measuring
near-field antenna patterns. If you have a local university
with such equipment, I suggest getting access to it; you will
learn quite a bit.

In terms of available modeling tools, I've tried a quite a few,
and the best (although not great) solution I've found so far
is HP EEsof Momentum. This is a 3D planar EM simulator, which
can model multiple layers of complex planar structures. Using
this tool, we were able to match simulation to measurement
very well on passive structures. The biggest shortcomings
we ran into included: 1) no direct compatability with SPICE;
and 2) all ports/connect points had to be along the periphery
(i.e., no internal monitoring points; this was as of a year ago,
which I've heard the latest release has gotten around this).

Pat Zabinski
Mayo Foundation

--
  Pat Zabinski                                     ph: 507-284-5936
  Mayo Foundation                                  fx: 507-284-9171